Bengali Fish Curry Recipe
How to make Indian Fish Curry
I belong to an oriya family, bengali and odiya recipes are bit similar specially most of the non-vegetarian items. Both the states of India has long costal belt so the people of these states love fishes a lot. Fish is the most common non-vegetarian item in Orissa and West Bengal. I have given here the step by step procedure to make bengali macher jhol.
Ingredients for Fish Curry:
- 4 fish fillets
- Red chili(2-3red chili whole)
- Coriander seed(1/2tbsp)
- Garlic paste(1/2tbsp)
- Ginger paste(1/2tbsp)
- Cumin powder (1/2tbsp)
- Fish masala(1tbsp)
- Salt(to taste)
- Mustard oil(for frying)
- Lemon/lime juice(2tbsp)
- Turmeric powder (1tbsp)
- Onion (1/2medium chopped)
- Tomato(1/2 chopped)
Making Bengali Fish Curry:
- Clean the fish and wash it well with water. Drain excess water and marinate the fish with lime juice, turmeric powder and salt. Keep it aside for 30 minutes. Hilsa is the most popular fish in Bengal but you can use your own fish.
- Take a pan add 2tbsp of mustard oil and shallow fry both side of fish in a medium heat.
- Heat the pan with 1tbsp of oil, fry onion till it gets golden brown.
- Add the paste of ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric, cumin powder to onion and fry it for a minute. Now it’s the time for tomato. Add the chopped tomatoes to this fried masala.
- Mix it well and fry it in low heat till tomato become tender. Add the fish masala and fry nicely until oil starts coming out.
- Add 1 cup of warm water to this paste and leave it for a minute to boil.
- Add the fried fish and let it boil till fish is cooked and oil starts floating on the top of the curry.
- Adjust the salt and water according to your taste.
- Now the fish curry is ready to serve. Garnish it with tomato and coriander leaves.
- Serve it with rice or chapati. If you cook this odia/bengali fish curry at your home then let me know how it went. You can also send me your fish curry picture and I will add it here. Good luck.