Dahi Vada Recipe
Recipe of Dahi Vada
If you are from India then you will be surprised to know how people call this dahi vada differently like dahi wada, dahi bada, dahi bara, dahi bare, dahi vade etc. No matter what you call it but it is the same, no difference in the recipe with the different naming conventions. It is also very popular in Odisa and we love to eat it with aloo dum(potato curry). When I made it first time at home it was not as good as you see in restaurants. I had several issues as I found my vada little hard, dahi wasn’t that tasty as it was expected to be so I kept on looking for answers in internet and asked my friends to help me out. I cooked it several times to make it perfect. Now I am good at it as others seems to appreciate so you can follow my steps to cook it at home.
Ingredients for Dahi Vada:
- Moong dal(3cup)
- Urad dal (1cup)
- Ginger (small piece)
- Green chili (2 finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Yogurt (2cup)
- some curry leaves
- Mint leaves/coriander leaves(1/4cup)
- Green chili(2-3 or as per taste)
- Cumimn seeds(1/2tsp)
- Dry red
- Oil (for frying)
How to Make Dahi Wada
- Soak the urad and moong dal at least for six hours.
- Wash the dal and grind it without giving water, add the ginger and green chili and grind it with the dal.
- Then mix it with a spoon in circular motion for 5-10 minutes.
- Take a pan, add oil for frying and fry the dough that you made from the mix for 2-3 minutes, when it become little brown take it out and put it in water for minimum 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the water from the vada and put it in a plate. Now make a fine paste using some mint, coriander leaves, some cumin seeds and green chili.
- Add 1tbsp of this green paste to the yogurt and mix it well. Now put these vadas to the yogurt mixture and rest the vada in yogurt for 5-10 minutes.
- Now in a small pan add very little oil, when oil becomes hot add 1tsp of mustard seeds, dry red chili and some curry leaves. Put that tempering on top of dahi vadas and serve.
- If you want then you can garnish with roosted cumin powder, chat masala, chopped onion, coriander leaves.
Now your vadas are ready to serve. Hope you will like it. Keep visiting my website and I will share more recipes with you. If you make this dahi vada then let me know your concerns here, I will drop in to answer them.