Fast Healthy Meal: Moong Dal khichdi Recipe
Moong khichdi Recipe
I think you must be knowing hundreds of quick easy meal ideas but I have one recipe which will become your family favorite. It is a very healthy and quick to make, just mix of rice and moong dal people call it khichdi. The recipe I am giving here is for 3-4 people.
Ingredients for Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe:
- Rice (1½ cups I usually use Sona Masuri or Basmati)
- Whole Moong Dal/Green Gram(½ cup)
- Split Moong Dal(¼ cup)
- Onion(1 large sliced)
- Green Chilies(2-3 split)
- Ginger(1 inch finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder(¼ tsp)
- Mustard Seeds(1 tsp)
- Jeera/Cumin Seeds(1 tsp)
- Few Curry Leaves
- Cardamoms (1-2 crushed)
- Black Pepper Powder (½ tsp Optional)
- Oil/Ghee(1 tbsp)
- Coriander Leaves(chopped finely)
- Salt to taste
How to Make Moong Khichdi:
- Wash rice, lentil and soak them in water for 5-10 minutes.
- Chop onion, coriander leaves and ginger finely.
- Heat oil/ghee in pressure cooker.
- Add mustard, cumin and curry leaves and saute for a while.
- When mustard starts to pop, add finely chopped onion, ginger and green chili and stir it for 1 to 1½ minutes.
- Now add the crushed spices and stir it for another minute or so, till onions turn translucent.
- Drain water from rice and dal and add them with fried onion and spices.
- To this add turmeric powder, salt to taste and about 6 to 6 ½ cups of water and mix well. If you want to make your khichdi softer you can add more water.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and reduce the gas flame to medium. Give 1-2 whistles.
Now delicious khichdi is ready to serve with your favorite raita.