How to Make Chana Masala
Punjabi Chana Masala Recipe
This is the popular Punjab vegetarian recipe you can also call it chole masala. This is a rich and spicy recipe, you can make it once a while or can make it for your guest in a party. I want to share with you one secret here that my hobby is better in making chickpeas curry than me. Here I am going to share the steps for making yummy chickpeas masala curry.
Ingredients for Chickpeas Masala Curry
- Chickpeas (1cup)
- Onion (1medium finely chopped)
- Tomato (1/2 finely chopped)
- Tomato puree (1/2 tbsp optional it will only give a nice color)
- Ginger garlic paste(1tbsp)
- Chana masala (1 and ½ tbsp)
- Coriander powder (1/2 tbsp)
- Cumin powder (1/4 tbsp)
- Red chili powder (1/2 tbsp optional)
- Oil/ghee/butter (2tbsp)
- Salt (as per taste)
Recipe for Punjabi Chana Masala
- Soak the chick peas over night in water. Boil it in pressure cooker. If you want the little brown color you can use some boiled tea water for soaking the peas. You can also use the frozen chickpeas available in the market.
- Take a pan add oil, when oil starts boiling add the onion and coriander, cumin powder, fry it till it turns to golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for two minutes.
- Add chopped tomato, tomato puree and half of chana masla and again fry it in a low flame till oil comes out from the masala.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas to the fried masala and mix it well.
- Add rest of the masala and fry it for two minutes.
- Add ½ cup of warm water and balance the salt according to your taste. And let it boil for three to five minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander if you want can add more butter for flavor, serve it with rice or chapati.