How to Make Pav Bhaji
Recipe for Pav Bhaji
Pav bhaji literally means bread and vegetable. I know it may sounds little boring but believe me millions of Indians eat it everyday, it is quite popular in west coast of India. You know there is a very interesting story behind pav bhaji. It originated way back when lots of textile mills were in Mumbai. The reasons why pav bhaji was made are the workers, they had very less time to have their lunch and second reason was they could not afford a full meal because they have to go back to work and a full lunch would make them bit sleepy, so food venders realized the problem and they came with the conclusion to replace traditional roti/chapatti/rice to pav and the curry to spicy bhaji when the best pav bhaji was born. I can bet it would be the best snacks for you when you try it. Well it takes little time to make. I always want to put more taste to my food but I can give you a simple recipe which will take very less time to prepare it.
Pav Bhaji Ingredients:
- Potato (4medium boiled and grated)
- Tomato(4 medium finely chopped)
- Onion(2 medium finely chopped)
- Green peas (shelled ¼ cup)
- Cauliflower (grated ¼ cup)
- Ginger and green chili paste (2tbsp)
- Coriander leaves (1/4 cup)
- Capsicum (finely chopped 1 medium size optional)
- Carrot (finely chopped 1medium size)
- Pav bhaji masala (2tbsp - available in Indian grocery store)
- Tomato puree (1/4 cup)
- Oil (2tbsp)
- Butter (3tbsp)
- Pav/Bun Bread (8 pieces)
- Salt (to taste)
Pav Bhaji Masala Recipe:
- Take a pan add butter and oil to it when it start melting add chopped onion to the butter. If you want to make your pav bhaji tasty you can make it without oil, rather add 2tbsp butter.
- Fry the onion till it turns to transparent color, add green chili and ginger paste to it and fry it for some time, later add chopped tomato and fry it till tomato gets cooked properly.
- Add pav bhaji masala, mix it well and fry it 2-3minutes.
- Add grated cauliflower, carrot and peas. Again fry it till the time it is nicely cooked. If it becomes dry then add little water and mix it well.
- Add the mashed potato, mix it well and fry it 2-3 more minutes.
- Take one vegetable masher and mash the entire vegetable well.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander, lime juice and mix it well. Bhaji masala is ready
- Take another flat pan put the pav to this pan and add butter to both side of the pav and make it with the medium flame till both side of pav become brown.
- Now your pav bhaji masala and pav is ready to serve. If you are in hurry but want to make something good for your family or friends you can make this lovely pav bhaji. Instead of frying all the raw vegetables just boil all the vegetables and mash it with masher and add with the onion to save some good amount of time, if you prefer to go for taste then fry them before mashing. Rest steps will remain same. Let me know here how it goes with you.