Kidney Beans Indian Recipe
Kidney Beans Curry
Kidney beans curry is very popular in North India, people also call it rajma curry. I can say it is an excellent nutritious food for vegetarian people, it is really rich in protein. People are alert about healthy low calorie diet and also healthy low carb food.
I think low-carb diets can be either healthy or unhealthy depending on the foods you select. Low-carb diet that consists mostly of fish, processed meat, low-fat dairy, lots of green vegetables, nuts. At last everyone needs plenty of water for good health. I know Indian foods are not low calories but it taste so delicious. This recipe is for 4 people.
Ingredients for Red Kidney Beans Curry:
- Red kidney beans (2 cups soaked overnight )
- Onion(2 medium finely chopped)
- Whole garam masala(1-2 cloves, 1bay leaves, 1caradmom, 2-3 black pepper)
- Ginger and garlic(1tbsp each make a fine paste)
- Turmeric powder(1tsp)
- Cumin seeds(1tsp)
- Red chili powder(1tsp or you can use according to your taste)
- Tomato(1 make a fine puree)
- Coriander and cumin powder(1tsp each)
- Rajma masala(it is totally optional actually I love to use this only because of taste)
- Oil or butter(2-3tbsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped for garnishing)
How to Make Spicy Rajma Masala Curry:
- Drain the soaked red kidney beans and wash them well. Place them in a pressure cooker, add 4 cups of water and salt. Close the cooker and give 3-4 whistles on low to medium heat.
- Heat the oil in a pan on when oil become hot, add whole garam masala and fry it for a while.
- Now add the chopped onion and fry it till it becomes soft. (You can finely chop 1 onion and make a paste for other one along with ginger-garlic).
- Add ginger-garlic, onion paste to the fried onion. (I will give you a tip here, if you will add 1tbsp of crushed boiled rajma to the ginger garlic paste then it will give you a nice taste to your curry).
- Fry all the paste in a low flame till oil comes out of the masala.
- Now add tomato puree to the masala mix and mix it well.
- Add all the dry spices to the mixture and fry it again till it becomes dry.
- Now add the boiled kidney beans along with its stock, add salt to the masala and mix it well.
- Add water according to your consistency and cook in a medium heat for about five to seven minutes.
- Garnish this with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapatti.
Rajma is the most common north Indian dish. Every north Indian knows the cooking process. If you have gas or acid problem then avoid this recipe. I will be glad if you comment your new and creative ideas here.