Mustard Fish Curry
Mustard Fish Recipe
There are several different recipes for fish with mustard sauce but I love this as it is relatively simple and delicious. This is the most popular Bengali fish curry. I always loved this curry as cooked by my mother and finally I made this curry perfectly after my 2-3 trials. People also call it sarson mach, steamed fish.
Ingredients for Fish Mustard Curry:
- Fish (4 pieces, Any kind, I prefer hilsa)
- Mustard paste (1tsp)
- Cumin paste(1/2tsp)
- Yogurt (2tbsp)
- Onion (1/2 chopped finely)
- Tomato (1/2 cut into small pieces optional)
- Green chili (2-3 slits optional)
- Red chili powder (1tbsp optional, according to your taste)
- Turmeric powder (1tsp)
- Salt (according to taste)
- Mustard oil(2tbsp)
- Water(1/2 cup)
Indian Fish Mustard Recipe:
- Clean the fish thoroughly and wash under running water.
- Take a pan, add oil, when oil becomes hot add onion and fry it for few seconds. Add tomato and fry both onion and tomato till tomato becomes tender.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and mustard,cumin paste to that and fry it for one-two minutes. Remember not to fry it beyond 1-2 minutes else mustard will give a bitter taste to your curry.
- Add water to this and mix it well. Now add fish pieces to this and let it boil for eight to ten minutes. You can add yogurt directly to this mixture but you cannot get your fish tender so I prefer to add yogurt later.
- When fish is cooked almost 90% add yogurt and mix it well.
- Let it boil about five to seven minute in a low medium flame.You can adjust your gravy according to you.
This is the process I follow but I can give you a very easy and quick method. Do you want to know it? Take a pan, add all with ingredients which I have mentioned already and cook it in a low medium flame till fish becomes tender.Now the mustard fish recipe is ready to serve with rice. Hope you will enjoy your food. If you have any suggestions just feel free to comment here.