Prawn Biryani Recipe
Recipe for Shrimp Biryani
I know biryani is very popular in India and abroad as well. There are various types of Indian biryanis like chicken, shrimp, mutton, egg and fish.
Chicken and goat biryani is the most popular but shrimp is my favorite. Well do you know shrimp consists almost eighteen vitamins and minerals? It is full of vitamin A, C, E and etc. Vitamin “A” helps in vision health (eye diseases), vitamin “C” helps in tissue growth, where vitamin “E” helps in formation of blood cell. It was all about advantages of eating shrimp. Here is my step by step process for cooking Indian shrimp biryani at your home. The prawn recipe I have given here is for 2-3 people.
Ingredients for Making Shrimp Biryani:
- Shrimp(1lb large)
- Rice(1cup I prefer basmati rice)
- Ginger-garlic paste(2 tsp)
- Red chili powder(1tsp or according to your taste)
- Whole garam masala(2-3 cloves, cinnamon stick, 2-3 black pepper, 1-2 green cardamom, 1 black cardamom)
- Onion (1 large finely chopped)
- Yogurt(2-3tbsp thick)
- Coconut paste(1tbsp)
- Biryani masala(you can use any brand)
- Coriander leaves (1/2 cup finely chopped)
- Mint leaves(3-4 finely chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Food color(optional I use red color)
How to Make Shrimp Biryani:
- Peal the cover and wash the shrimp. Now add red chili powder, 1tsp of ginger-garlic paste and salt to the shrimp.
- Heat oil in a pan when oil becomes hot add the shrimp batch by batch for frying. Fry the shrimp till it turns brown.
- Add chopped onion to the hot oil and fry it till it turns to brown, add rest of ginger-garlic paste and fry it for a while once it done add coconut paste to it and fry 3-4 min.Yes forgot to mention, before adding onion add whole garam masala to the hot oil.
- Now add the biryani masala and yogurt to this onion masala and mix it well.
- Add the fried shrimp to this yogurt mixture and let it cook for a while.
- In the mean time we need to make rice for shrimp biryani.
- Take a pan with 2-3cups of water, when water starts boiling add little oil and washed rice to it.
- Boil the rice till its 90% done.
- Now layer the shrimp at bottom then rice on top of it. Sprinkle coriander and mint leaves on the top of rice. Sprinkle red color on top of rice and cover it in very low flame for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now biryani is ready, mix it well and serve hot with favorite raita.