Prawn Malai Curry
Shrimp Coconut Curry Recipe
If you are thinking of an Indian shrimp curry for today then shrimp with coconut is the one for you. Shrimp is very popular in central and south part of India and it is added to many dishes. Malai type of curries are very popular in West Bengal, I am from Odisa so I love this shrimp curry. It makes an excellent curry to go with rice, naan or roti. Here is the step by step recipe for shrimp coconut curry.
Ingredients for Shrimp Curry:
- 1 cup coconut milk(I prefer coconut paste 1tbsp)
- Onion(1 medium finely chopped or you can use the paste)
- Ginger garlic paste(1tbsp)
- Tomato(1finely chopped or puree)
- Turmeric powder(1tsp)
- Coriander powder(1tsp)
- Red chili powder(1tsp as per your taste)
- Cumin powder(1tsp, I prefer cumin paste)
- Garam masala powder(1tsp)
- Salt (to taste)
- Coriander leave(finely chopped for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup water.
How to Make Malai Shrimp Curry:
- Clean and wash the shrimp under running water. Add salt and turmeric power to the shrimp, mix it well. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan and saute the shrimp till they turn brown.
- Add chopped onion in the hot oil and fry till it turns to golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste, mix well and again stir fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chopped tomato, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin paste, coriander powder and mix well with the onion & ginger-garlic mixture. Fry it 2-3 minutes.
- Add shred coconut with the help of coconut shredder and make a fine paste. Add the paste to the ginger-garlic mixture and fry it till oil comes out of the masala.
- If you are using coconut milk then fry the masala first then slowly pour in the coconut milk by stirring continuously.
- Add the fried shrimp to the fried masala and mix well.
- Add water if required and cook till gravy gets reduced. Finally add the garam masala powder and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti or rice or parathas.
Now the malai shrimp is ready to serve, don’t count the calories when you have this dish in front of you. If you have any new ideas just feel free to share here.